Monday, November 4, 2013

Make Your Own Aromatherapy Pendant

A few months ago, Krysta (ADOT behind the scenes gal) got this awesome clay pendant necklace from her MIL to be used as a diffuser. That's when the wheels started turning in my brain, and I thought, there has to be a way I can make something like this.

With a little time spent on Pinterest, I found the directions to help me get started. They were listed on the doTERRA blog found {here}.

First manner of business was finding the clay. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and found Sculpey 1.75 Pound Pack - Terra Cotta by Polyform {here}. I've enjoyed working with it and it has good reviews. 



Supplies:

  • Terra cotta clay
  • Stamps for imprinting your design
  • Toothpick for making the hole
  • Something to cut the circle of your pendant
  • Rolling pin 
  • String for necklaces 
  • Sandpaper 
  • Wax paper 
  • Aluminum foil

What to do: 

Tear off a piece of your clay and work it until it's soft. On your wax paper, roll it out to approximately 1/4" thick. 



Stamp out your circles to make your pendants. I first tried a shot glass but the edges didn't cut cleanly, so I used the top to a bottle of hair mousse. A cookie cutter would be great too.


Next, stamp your image onto the clay - get creative. I used my stamps for card making and they washed up afterward.


Bake in the oven per the directions on the box, or let sit if you get air dry clay. I put down aluminum foil down on my cookie sheet.


I let mine sit overnight and then sanded down the edges. This does change the color slightly. When you add your oils it will go back to the darker color. For my second set, I smoothed the edge with my finger before baking. 



I love all the different designs you can stamp.


To use as an aromatherapy pendant, add one drop of the essential oil of your choice. Rub it into the pendant. Refresh as necessary.


These would also make a great ornament or a car air freshener. If you give them as a gift, you could give them several drams of essential oils for them to decide their favorite scent.